If it's not here you don't want to make it
Gramercy Tavernís Gingerbread
- 1 cup oatmeal stout or Guinness Stout
- 1 cup dark molasses (not blackstrap)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cardamom
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- Confectioners sugar for dusting
Accompaniment: Unsweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
Generously butter bundt pan and dust with flour, knocking out excess.
(She is not kidding about this.
I used a nonstick pan with a butter/flour spray and still lost a chunk of cake.
I will be more generous next time.)
- Bring stout and molasses to a boil in a large saucepan and remove from heat.
Whisk in baking soda, then cool to room temperature.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and spices in a large bowl.
Whisk together eggs and sugars.
Whisk in oil, then molasses mixture.
Add to flour mixture and whisk until just combined.
- Pour batter into bundt pan and rap pan sharply on counter to eliminate air bubbles.
Bake in middle of oven until a tester comes out with just a few moist crumbs adhering, about 50 minutes.
Cool cake in pan on a rack 5 minutes.
Turn out onto rack and cool completely.
Serve cake, dusted with confectioners sugar, with whipped cream.
Do ahead: This gingerbread is better if made a day ahead.
It will keep 3 days, covered, at room temperature.
I am sure it will keep well-wrapped in the freezer even longer.
Source: Claudia Fleming via Smitten Kitchen